Snow removal on pathways
On both sides of the Rideau Canal, pathways that provide access to the Rideau Canal Skateway are cleared of snow. The cleared pathways run along the following streets:
- Colonel By Drive (south of Laurier Bridge to Hog’s Back)
- Queen Elizabeth Driveway (south of Laurier Bridge to Dows Lake)
Snow removal is also done on the following:
- Alexandra Bridge boardwalk (by the City of Ottawa)
- De l’Île Pathway, from Saint-Rédempteur Street to Laurier Street (by the Ville de Gatineau)
Why aren’t more pathways cleared of snow?
- Most of our pathways remain accessible for people to practise winter activities, such as snowshoeing and cross-country skiing.
- The NCC’s budget and resources for its pathways are limited, considering the high cost of snow removal and the low use of pathways in the winter.
- Snow removal operations reduce the life cycle of recreational pathways, and cause additional wear and tear.
Working with the cities
The City of Ottawa and Ville de Gatineau provide snow removal services for the NCC. For additional information, visit: