Farms for Lease in the Greenbelt
The NCC is seeking applications for the use of various farms in the Greenbelt in Ottawa. The deadline for applications is March 5, 2013.
Call for Applications
The NCC is looking for qualified individuals to operate, manage and maintain one or more of its farms available for long-term lease.
Location: Various locations in the Greenbelt (Ottawa, Ontario)
Area: Between 4 and 182 hectares (between 10 and 450 acres)
Soil type: Class 2 to 5, with and without underground drainage
Agriculture in the Greenbelt is part of the NCC’s efforts to build a green and sustainable capital that represents the values of Canadians.
Successful applicants will
- Demonstrate the feasibility of their project;
- Practise sustainable agriculture, integrating environmental stewardship, economic profitability and social responsibility;
- Benefit from the local and regional consumer base;
- Contribute to diversified farming in the Greenbelt.
Successful applicants must also demonstrate proof of financial means and consent to a verification of their credit rating.
- 430 River Road, Ottawa
- 3763 Farmers Way, Ottawa
- 4259 Russell Road, Ottawa
- 4790 Russell Road, Ottawa
- 4880 Ridge Road, Ottawa
Farm Site Visits: February 13 and 20, 2013.
If you are interested in applying, you are encouraged to take part in a site visit of the available farms. Site visits will take place on February 13 and 20, 2013. NCC staff will be present to show you the properties and answer your questions.
How to Apply
Application Deadline: March 5, 2013.
- Read the “Guidelines for Agricultural Leases in the Greenbelt.”
- Complete the form “Application for an Agricultural Lease in the Greenbelt.”
- Create four copies of your proposal, in either English or French. Copies of the application will not be returned.
- Send or deliver your proposal to the following address:
National Capital Commission
Attn.: Bill Leonard
202–40 Elgin Street
Ottawa ON K1P 1C7
The proposal must be postmarked by March 5, 2013, in order to be considered.
If you have questions regarding property and leasing, please contact Bill Leonard at 613-239-5728. If you have questions regarding agriculture, please contact Patricia Talbot at 613-239-5574.
You can also contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.