Snowshoeing in Gatineau Park
This winter, strap on your snowshoes and enjoy a walk through the forests of Gatineau Park. This beautiful conservation park near Ottawa has 12 trails for snowshoeing.
Among these are
- 57 kilometres of snowshoe trails
- Seven starting points
- two easy trails from the Gatineau Park Visitor Centre
- three easy trails from the Relais plein air du parc de la Gatineau
- longer and more challenging trails at Meech Lake, Wakefield and Philippe Lake.
- Four day shelters that are maintained daily and equipped with wood-burning stoves and picnic tables
- Fire pits along some trails
- Ready-to-camp units and campsites located near snowshoe trails
Help us protect Gatineau Park and leave no trace.
A pass is now required to access snowshoe trails in Gatineau Park. Find out about rates and how to purchase your season or daily pass.
Snowshoe Trail Conditions
The conditions are updated as needed during the snowshoe season, which runs from November 15 to March 31 (weather permitting).
Winter Trail Map
See the Gatineau Park Winter Trails map for complete information. A paper copy of the map is available for purchase at the Gatineau Park Visitor Centre and at tourism offices in the Capital.
|Washrooms||There are washrooms at the Gatineau Park Visitor Centre and the Relais plein air du parc de la Gatineau. There are outhouses at the starting points for all other snowshoe trails.|
Parking is available at the following locations:
You can also take the bus — the Relais plein air du parc de la Gatineau is accessible via the STO.
Bring a snack and enjoy it in warmth. The following day shelters are located along snowshoe trails:
Each day shelter is maintained daily and has a wood-burning stove and picnic tables.
You can extend your visit at the Park by staying overnight. During the winter, the Park offers ready-to-camp units and winter campsites. The following are accessible via snowshoeing trails:
Reservations are required.
Snowshoes can be rented at the Gatineau Park Visitor Centre.
- Monday to Friday, 10 am to 2:30 pm (last rental)
- Saturday and Sunday, 9 am to 3:30 pm (last rental)
Snowshoes must be returned by 3:30 pm, Monday to Friday, and by 4:30 pm, Saturday and Sunday.
|Per Hour||Per Day||Overnight*|
|Snowshoes — Adult||$7||$21||$30|
|Snowshoes — Child (12 and under)||$5||$15||$30|
* The overnight rental period is for 24 hours or less, and is available only to those staying in one of the Park’s ready-to-camp units. These rentals must be returned by 1 pm the following day.
Please stay on the trails intended for snowshoeing and walking. Snowshoeing is not allowed on the Park’s cross-country ski trails. This includes the areas of compacted snow that run between and beside the set tracks.
Dogs and pets are not permitted on snowshoeing trails and cross-country ski trails. See the Dog Walking in Gatineau Park page to find out where you can walk your dog in the winter.
For more information, see Gatineau Park’s visitor information page.